• Hatchbacks used to be affordable body type options, now some are even pricier than SUVs.
• Our list includes some of the most expensive hot hatchbacks in the new car market.
• The most expensive hatchback in the country comes from the Mercedes-Benz stable.
• For motoring news, go to Wheels24.
3. Audi S3 Sportback quattro
0-100km/h: 4.9 seconds
Despite using the same turbocharged 2.0-litre four-cylinder petrol engine (and seven-speed dual-clutch gearbox) as its predecessor, the new version of Audi's all-paw S3 Sportback is interestingly detuned for the local market, with peak power falling from 228kW to 213kW. It's also slightly less expensive than before, though still pricey enough to feature on this list.