Midrand - An alert and quick-thinking couple prevented themselves from becoming hijack victims over the weekend when three men in a Mercedes-Benz C-Class tried to attack them in front of their home on Sunday (August 13).
Wheels24 reported that more than 1400 vehicles are hijacked each month in South Africa, according to South African Police Service's (SAPS) crime statistics.
The couple, in a white Land Rover Sport had pulled into their drive way, a woman can be seen climbing out of the vehicle to greet their dogs who had run outside from the property when the gate had opened. The woman, identified as Anelle Hills, according to her Facebook profile, along with her husband Roger, noticed the vehicle speeding towards them.
The woman quickly jumped back inside the SUV when she saw two men jump out of the gold-coloured Mercedes and her husband promptly reversed straight down the road, getting as far away from the assailants as possible.
One of the men can be seen holding a weapon in his hands. The Mercedes, which pulled up on the grass on a property next door, can be seen trying to get out of the way, along with one of the men as the Land Rover speeds by.
The men then jump back into the vehicle and speed off.
Anelle Hills says on her Facebook post that she and her husband Roger had arrived home just after 1.21pm: "Roger's quick thinking got us away quickly and safely!"
Wheels24 has tried to comment Anelle Hills for comment.
WATCH the video below:
Anelle also posted another video of the incident from a different angle:
Here's how you can avoid becoming a victim:
1. Keep an eye on pedestrians at intersections and unfamiliar cars in your neighbourhood
2. Never disregard someone as a threat because they are well dressed
3. If you are approached by a hijacker keep your hands visible at all times
4. Unlock your car only when you're close by
5. A well-maintained car is less likely to break down and leave you vulnerable
6. Avoid driving with your windows open and keep your doors locked. Place valuables out of sight
7. If you suspect you are being followed, drive to your nearest police station or a busy public area
8. When approaching a red traffic light, slow down so that you only reach it when it turns green
Earlier in May, Wheels24 reported on an incident of CCTV footage outside a house in Houghton, Johannesburg capturing the moment a Porsche driver managed to thwart hijackers in broad daylight.How to deal with vehicle crime in SA: Hijackings, remote-jamming and more...
The video, uploaded by civic group 'Crime Intelligence & Community Awareness' on May 12 shows a Porsche 911 pull into a driveway, travelling a couple of metres behind the sportscar is a BMW 3 Series. The Porsche makes its way to the gate of the house while the BMW stops in the road and then reverses to block the car.
An armed man in the BMW jumps out and points the firearm at the driver who quickly reverses out of the dangerous situation and speeds past the BMW.