Ford South Africa received special permits allowing dealerships to repair and service emergency and essential Ford vehicles doing duty during the 21-day coronavirus lockdown.
The special leave, says Ford SA, applies to emergency medical and response teams, safety and security services, and companies granted government permits in the grocery supply chain.
16 dealers across South Africa are enabled to carry out this service.
Neale Hill, MD of Ford SA, says: "The emergency and essential services are crucial to implementing and maintaining the national lockdown and social distancing measures to contain the spread of the coronavirus.
“To keep these services running and ensuring that the provision of primary healthcare, community support and deliveries of food continues, Ford Motor Company, together with the selected dealers, applied for and were granted government permission for 16 Ford dealers in the major centres across the country to conduct essential repairs on Ford vehicles used by these personnel."
"We appreciate the sacrifice and dedication of every individual that is involved in dealing with this coronavirus pandemic, and we have ensured that the selected dealers are ready and equipped to attend to any essential vehicle repairs without delay. We are following the strictest guidelines to protect the safety of our dealer staff and these customers throughout this period."
Essential services only
Ford South Africa stressed that the availed service is not for the broader public and that private owners should contact the Automobile Association (AA) on 0861 150 250 for assistance. The AA is gull equipped to see to the needs of customers and will assist them during the lockdown.
Hill adds: "Although we aren't able to accommodate our regular customers currently, we are working with our dealers on solutions to mitigate any backlog that might result from the 21-day lockdown."
In the event of an essential service Ford vehicle needing repairs, the closest dealer should be identified from the list below, and this information sent along with the vehicle's VIN number, and details of which essential service is represented to email@example.com. The local dealer will then make contact to set up an appointment.
• Action Ford Krugersdorp Krugersdorp
• Barloworld Ford Pietermaritzburg - Pietermaritzburg
• Barloworld Ford Pinetown - Pinetown
• Barloworld Ford Tyger Valley - Cape Town
• Motus Ford Culemborg - Cape Town
• Motus Ford Kempton Park - Johannesburg
• CMH Kempster Ford Hatfield - Pretoria
• Consolidated Auto - Boksburg
• Eastern Cape Motors Port Elizabeth - Port Elizabeth
• Fed Auto Ford Kokstad - Kokstad
• McCarthy Ford Silverlakes - Pretoria East
• McCarthy Ford The Glen - Johannesburg
• Barloworld Ford Alberton - Alberton
• Barloworld Ford N1 City - Cape Town
• Paul Maher Auto - Johannesburg
• Nelspruit Ford - Nelspruit
Compiled by: Charlen Raymond