- Best-selling Toyota Hilux range updated for the 2021 model year.
- More standard luxury and convenience features added based on customer feedback.
- OEM navigation falls away in favour of Apple CarPlay and Android Auto based apps.
- For motoring news, go to Wheels24
Toyota South Africa has updated its popular, best-selling Hilux range. While the bakkie was updated in August last year, customer feedback and demand has resulted in Toyota's re-jigging of the local line-up to ensure the model remains sought after in light of the all-new Ford Ranger being launched in the coming months.
Legend line-up refined with more astute offerings
When introduced in 2020, the Toyota Hilux Legend 4x4 Auto models received additional specification features as the flagship of the double-cab range. While all Legend models boasted the same exterior design and visual treatment, only the 4x4 models received the "full-house" treatment, including a leather interior, JBL premium audio system, and Toyota Safety Sense (TSS) active safety system.
Now, all Legend models (including Raised Body 4x2) boast a power-adjustable driver seat, leather interior, Toyota Safety Sense (Pre-crash system, Lane Keeping Assist, Adaptive Cruise Control), an upgrade to dual-zone climate control, and an enhanced Smart Entry system.
If you're an audiophile, you should note that the JBL premium 9-speaker audio system remains exclusive to 4x4 Legend models only.
Also, due to consumer feedback, the Xtra-cab Legend models' interior is upgraded to align with the Double-cab, including a leather interior package and a power-adjustable driver seat.
Raider models also receive an upgrade
According to Toyota, the mid-tier Hilux Raider models represent good value, balancing utility, comfort, and convenience. For the 2021 model year, these versions now offer an alloy spare wheel and tyre package.
You also get a height-adjustable driver seat (all variants) and illumination control on all variants. A 60/40 rear split seat comes standard in the 2.4 double-cab variants, and a rear armrest with cup holders, seatback pockets, and shopping hooks are thrown in. If you buy a 2.8-litre Hilux Raider, you'll also get dual-zone climate control.
No more built-in navigation system
Toyota says that due to Android Auto and Apple CarPlay on all Hilux models fitted with an audio system, the onboard satellite navigation previously offered on selected models has been removed. The company says that customers use smartphone apps such as Google Maps, Apple Maps and Waze to navigate instead of using the OEM-supplied navigation systems.
Classy new paint finish for the first time
For the first time on a Hilux, customers can opt for a luxurious pearl-white finish in the form of Platinum White Pearl. Based on popular demand, Toyota will also produce a limited production run of Sand Beige units between October and December 2021. Customers are requested to enquire at their nearest Toyota dealer on the availability of Sand Beige units.
Here is the 2021 Toyota Hilux model line-up and pricing in South Africa:
Petrol single cab
- Hilux 2.7 VVTi RB S 5MT - R 404 300
- Hilux 2.0 VVTi S 5MT - R 313 700
- Hilux 2.0 VVTi S A/C 5MT - R 322 900
Diesel single cab
- Hilux 2.4 GD S 5MT - R 353 700
- Hilux 2.4 GD S A/C 5MT - R 363 200
- Hilux 2.4 GD-6 RB RAIDER 6MT - R 473 100
- Hilux 2.4 GD-6 RB RAIDER 6AT - R 492 400
- Hilux 2.4 GD-6 4X4 RAIDER 6MT - R 544 300
- Hilux 2.4 GD-6 4X4 RAIDER 6AT - R 565 300
- Hilux 2.4 GD-6 RB SR 6MT - R 437 800
- Hilux 2.4 GD-6 4x4 SR 6MT - R 504 000
- Hilux 2.8 GD-6 RB RAIDER 6AT - R 562 200
- Hilux 2.8 GD-6 4X4 RAIDER 6AT - R 629 900
- Hilux 2.0 VVTi 5MT A/C - R 301 200
- Hilux 2.4 GD 5MT A/C - R 340 500
- Hilux 2.4 GD-6 4X4 6MT - R 486 400
- Hilux 2.4 GD-6 RB RAIDER 6MT - R 486 700
- Hilux 2.4 GD-6 RB RAIDER 6AT - R 505 900
- Hilux 2.8 GD-6 RB LEGEND 6MT - R 570 200
- Hilux 2.8 GD-6 RB LEGEND 6AT - R 596 100
- Hilux 2.8 GD-6 4x4 LEGEND 6MT - R 645 000
- Hilux 2.8 GD-6 4x4 LEGEND 6AT - R 671 400
Petrol double cab:
- Hilux 2.7 VVTi RB S 5MT - R 460 600
- Hilux 4.0 V6 4X4 LEGEND AT - R 792 600
Diesel double cab:
- Hilux 2.4 GD-6 RB RAIDER MT - R 529 700
- Hilux 2.4 GD-6 RB RAIDER AT - R 546 300
- Hilux 2.4 GD-6 4X4 RAIDER MT - R 611 400
- Hilux 2.4 GD-6 4X4 RAIDER AT - R 638 200
- Hilux 2.4 GD-6 RB SR MT - R 498 700
- Hilux 2.4 GD-6 4X4 SR MT - R 574 300
- Hilux 2.8 GD-6 RB RAIDER AT - R 661 700
- Hilux 2.8 GD-6 4X4 RAIDER AT - R 739 700
- Hilux 2.8 GD-6 RB LEGEND MT - R 706 600
- Hilux 2.8 GD-6 RB LEGEND 6AT - R 735 100
- Hilux 2.8 GD6 RB LEGEND RS 6AT - R 835 100
- Hilux 2.8 GD-6 4X4 LEGEND RS MT - R 848 900
- Hilux 2.8 GD-6 4X4 LEGEND RS AT - R 882 400
- Hilux 2.8 GD-6 4X4 LEGEND MT - R 759 500
- Hilux 2.8 GD-6 4X4 LEGEND AT - R 793 000
All 2021 Toyota Hilux models come with a nine-services or 90 000km service plan as standard. Service intervals are 12 months or every 10 000km. A three-year or 100 000km warranty is also included in the purchase price. You can purchase additional service and warranty plan extensions from your Toyota dealer.
Don't forget to subscribe to our weekly newsletter, 'LET'S DRIVE', for the latest motoring news, new model updates and vehicle reviews in South Africa.