The man who cut off the head of an 11-year-old boy will be sentenced next week.
State advocate Pretty-Girl Ngcobo argued on Wednesday in the Pietermaritzburg high court that Mlungisi Zuma should be given a life sentence.
“No parent should have to bury their child … a mother should not have to bury her son … this is not natural,” she said.
Zuma on Tuesday pleaded guilty to murdering Andile Fihla on November 9 last year.
Two days before that, he had assaulted the boy’s mother, Lindiswa Khuboni, with a stick and broken her hand.
Zuma said he had assaulted Khuboni because he believed she was responsible for his girlfriend leaving him. He also believed she knew where the girlfriend was and was not telling him.
Zuma said he kidnapped the boy to use him to get in touch with his girlfriend.
He contacted Khuboni demanding she arrange a meeting between him and his girlfriend, but instead she contacted the Mountain Rise police station and reported the kidnapping.
He said he spoke to a “Constable Makhathini” who insulted him and threatened to “kill” him, which provoked him into killing Andile.
His advocate, Xolani Sindane, suggested to the court that Zuma be given 25 years’ imprisonment instead of life because Zuma had handed himself over and pleaded guilty, which should count in his favour.
He emphasised that while he does not condone Zuma’s actions, it must be taken into account that he was provoked by the policewoman, which was accepted in his plea explanation.
Ngcobo said Zuma had abused the trust the boy had in him, and he had surrendered because he had no choice as everyone was looking for him.
“If the death penalty was applicable, I would argue it’s an appropriate sentence,” she said.