Durban street vendors thwart robbers’ getaway

(iStock)
(iStock)

Durban street vendors were the heroes of the day on Tuesday morning when they were able to thwart a getaway by armed suspects, after a robbery in the city centre.

“The street vendors quickly sprang into action when they realised a crime had been committed and chased after the suspects as they fled the shop they had robbed,” said Blue Security community and media liaison officer, Andreas Mathios.

“The incident began when three armed suspects, wielding firearms, entered the store in Field Street and demanded cash, cellphones and various clothing items,” Mathios said.

“The staff were tied up with cable ties by the armed men,” he said.

ALSO READ | Late-night Pietermaritzburg party ends in tragedy

“Thankfully luck was not on the side of the suspects because as they fled the store, street vendors on the pavement gave chase. One suspect was apprehended and all the stolen items recovered except for one cellphone,” he said.

Mathios said the man was handed over to a Blue Security armed-response officer who had arrived after being notified about the robbery.

The man was detained until Durban Central police members arrived, he said.

In a separate armed robbery in New Germany on Tuesday morning a security guard was held up at gunpoint and robbed.

“A Blue Security armed-response officer reacted to a panic-alarm activation and arrived to find that the guard had been confronted by an armed suspect whilst on duty,” Mathios said.

ALSO READ | Two accused in ANC activist’s murder denied bail

“The guard was robbed of his watch and cellphone. It is believed that the suspect may have gained entry by jumping over the fence,” he said.

“Luckily no shots were fired and no-one was injured during the incident,” he said.

The matter was reported to police by the victim, he said.

We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For only R75 per month, you have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today.
Subscribe to News24
Daily Poll
Health Minister Zweli Mkhize announced a temporary pause of the Johnson & Johnson (J&J) Covid-19 vaccine rollout. It follows a decision by the US Food and Drug Agency (FDA) to pause the vaccine rollout after blood clots were discovered in six female recipients. Does this worry you?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
Let’s just hope it’s nothing serious
36% - 15 votes
I’m not worried at all by this
26% - 11 votes
I definitely won’t be having a vaccine anytime soon, no matter what vaccine it is
38% - 16 votes
Vote
Latest Issue

View the Witness in PDF

Latest Issue
Read the latest news from KZN in digital form.
Read now