A man who allegedly stole R2 million which was meant to be loaded into an ATM in Richard’s Bay four years ago has been arrested.
The 37-year-old man is expected to appear in the Richards Bay Magistrate’s Court on Monday, September 13.
Police spokesperson, Captain Nqobile Gwala, said it is alleged that on May 3, 2017, the man was driving a cash-in-transit vehicle at Richards Bay and while his crew was busy loading money into an ATM, he vanished with moneybags.
“The total amount of cash that went missing was R2 million,” said Captain Nqobile Gwala.
The man has been on the run since 2017 and a warrant of arrest had been issued by the court. He was arrested on Friday in the Empangeni CBD by the Empangeni K9 Unit and Crime Intelligence.