Covid-19 claims life of Richmond MM

accreditation
Richmond’s recently-appointed boss, Sikhombiso Mthembu (60), died on Thursday morning.PHOTO:
Richmond’s recently-appointed boss, Sikhombiso Mthembu (60), died on Thursday morning.PHOTO:

Richmond’s recently-appointed boss, Sikhombiso Mthembu (60) died of Covid-19 in the early hours of Thursday morning.

He is the third senior official from Richmond who died within three weeks.

The senior human resources officer, Tyran Andrew Ramnath (38), apparently died on December 21. Shortly before that, Richmond had lost strategic manager, Bigboy Mhlongo, who also died last week after his diagnosis with Covid-19. Mhlongo was laid to rest on Monday.

ALSO READ | KZN Health reopens field hospital as Covid beds fill up

Richmond has had several positive cases in December including Mthembu and the chief financial officer, Msizi Ngcobo.

The Witness previously reported that the staff blamed the human resources department for the outbreak which they said was due to the negligence. They said the department failed to implement the Covid-19 protocols when the first few cases were reported which allegedly exposed more employees to the virus.

The municipality’s spokesperson, Sibonelo Press Bhengu, said that Mthembu has provided the municipality with excellent leadership.

ALSO READ | Pietermaritzburg funeral parlours under strain

He spent 12 years at the municipality as a strategic corporate manager.

The mayor, Simenenkosi Samora Ndlovu, said, “He was passionate about the Richmond area and it’s potential and very proud of it’s administration.

“His passing leaves a huge gap which will be difficult to fill. We are dealt a big blow as he was a true serving leader.”

We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For only R75 per month, you have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today.
Subscribe to News24
Daily Poll
Former liberation struggle ex-combatants from Pietermaritzburg on Wednesday staged a protest outside the ANC Johannesburg headquarters where they demanded benefits to the tune of R2,2 million each. Do you think they should be entitled to this amount?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
Yes
8% - 32 votes
No
79% - 320 votes
A lesser amount perhaps, but not so much
13% - 51 votes
Vote

E-Editions

Read the digital editions of Witness here.
Read now