‘I’m not raising King security matters to score political points’ – Buthelezi

accreditation
0:00
play article
Subscribers can listen to this article
Prince Mangosuthu Buthelezi.
Prince Mangosuthu Buthelezi.
News24

Security arrangements around the Zulu nation’s newly-appointed King Misuzulu kaZwelithini, have turned into a political football, with the ANC accusing Zulu nation traditional prime minister, Prince Mangosuthu Buthelezi, of turning the matter into a political weapon.

It all started on Saturday when Buthelezi, who is also the founder of the IFP, issued a statement alleging that the police top brass was on the verge of withdrawing SAPS protectors who were guarding the new Zulu King.

ALSO READ | Queen Mantfombi Dlamini Zulu’s will to be read on Friday afternoon

On Sunday the ANC KwaZulu-Natal provincial secretary, Mdumiseni Ntuli, responded by accusing Buthulezi of speaking “without information”.

According to the ANC, security around the new king had not only be retained, but also been beefed up.

Buthelezi, who was outraged by the ANC’s accusations that his statement was meant to score political points, has since fired back saying it was his responsibility as the Zulu nation traditional prime minister to raise concerns about the King’s safety.

“I take strong exception to the accusations being made by the ANC in KwaZulu-Natal that the performance of my duties is done with the intention to create a rift between the royal family and the ruling party.

“I cannot help but be reminded that it is always the ANC in this province that scuppers political reconciliation talks, as they have done since the days of the People’s War," said Buthelezi.

He was referring to the political violence that claimed more the lives of more than 20 000 South Africans between 1984 and 1994. 

“It would have been a grave dereliction of duty had I not raised this matter (of the King's security) with the urgency that it warranted,” Buthelezi said.

ALSO READ | Zulu royal family urged to protect the late Queen’s children

While police have since confirmed that security measures to protect the king were still in place, Buthelezi however insisted that his statement was based on reliable sources.

“The information I received on the imminent withdrawal of SAPS VIP Protectors came from an advocate of the high court who has been staying at KwaKhangelamankengane Royal Palace since before the passing of Her Majesty the regent (Queen Mantfombi Dlamini Zulu).

“The advocate was conveying information received directly from the brigadier in charge of security at the palace,” he said.

King Misuzulu kaZwelithini was announced as the successor of the late King Zwelithini kaBhekuzulu at the reading of the Dlamini Zulu's on Friday.

However, some members of the Zulu royal family have questioned the decision to appoint him as the new Zulu monarch. 

We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For only R75 per month, you have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today.
Subscribe to News24
Daily Poll
Throngs of people descended on the KwaHlathi area, around Ladysmith in KwaZulu-Natal, at the weekend following rumours that diamonds had been discovered in the small village. It has not yet been confirmed if those were real diamonds or not. What are your thoughts on the matter?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
I think people can be so gullible
42% - 33 votes
You never know, maybe they are real diamonds
40% - 31 votes
If I had the means, I would have also gone to see if I could get anything
18% - 14 votes
Vote
Latest Issue

View Weeeknd Witness in PDF

Latest Issue
Read the latest news from KZN in digital form.
Read now