KZN Premier meets new Zulu King over the royal household's "benefits".

accreditation
0:00
play article
Subscribers can listen to this article




KZN Premier Sihle Zikalala during his first meeting with newly-appointed Zulu King, Misuzulu kaZwelithini, in Nongoma on Thursday.
KZN Premier Sihle Zikalala during his first meeting with newly-appointed Zulu King, Misuzulu kaZwelithini, in Nongoma on Thursday.
KZN Premier's Office

KwaZulu-Natal Premier, Sihle Zikalala, on Thursday travelled to Nongoma to meet the Zulu nation’s King Misuzulu kaZwelithini, amid rumours that government was planning to withdraw the new monarch's security deployment.

IFP founder, Prince Mangosuthu Buthelezi, who is also the traditional prime minister of the Zulu nation, on Sunday caused panic when he said he had been told that the police were withdrawing the VIP protection officers assigned to guard the latter.

zuku king
KZN Primer, Sihle Zikalala bows to Zulu nation's new King, Misuzulu kaZwelithini duirng their first meeting in kwaKhangelamankengane in Nongoma on Thursday.

Zikalala, who met King Misuzulu kaZwelithini at the kwaKhangelamankengane Palace in Nongoma, said it was important for him to brief the new later, particularly given that the royal house fell under the premier’s office. He said the office is expected to provide support to the monarch and the royal house.

“But more than that we were here to ensure that as there were reports about the withdrawal of security, we wanted to confirm for yourself that there is no such a thing.

“There was no point where the security was withdrawn and we will continue to support the royal house,” he said.

During a media briefing in Durban on Tuesday, Buthelezi insisted that as the Zulu nation traditional prime minister, he had a responsibility to raise concerns related to the king’s security

“The information I received on the imminent withdrawal of SAPS VIP protectors came from an advocate of the high court who has been staying at KwaKhangelamankengane Royal Palace...

“The advocate was conveying information received directly from the brigadier in charge of security at the palace. There is no reason for the brigadier in charge to have misinformed us, and indeed, the provincial commissioner has not denied issuing this instruction,” he said

King Misuzulu kaZwelithini was appointed amid a raging succession dispute within the royal family, with some members of the family claiming that processes were not followed when appointing him as the successor to the late King Goodwill Zwelithini kaBhekuzulu, who passed away in March.

Prince Buthelezi also revealed that the royal family members who had been questioning the appointment of King Misuzulu kaZwelithini had since pledged their loyalty to the new King.

There has been speculation that King Misuzulu kaZwelithini, who is currently single, would first have to get married before being officially installed.

However Prince Buthelezi disputed that, saying there has never been a requirement in the Zulu culture that one has to be before ascending the throne.

We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For only R75 per month, you have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today.
Subscribe to News24
Daily Poll
What are your thoughts on President Cyril Ramaphosa's decision to move South Africa to level 3 of the national lockdown?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
It was a good move because tougher restrictions were urgently needed to try and curb the spread of C-19.
26% - 14 votes
It won’t change anything if the restrictions are not enforced.
45% - 24 votes
This will have a negative impact on the economy.
28% - 15 votes
Vote
Latest Issue

View The Witness in PDF

Latest Issue
Read the latest news from KZN in digital form.
Read now