The KwaZulu-Natal provincial government has declared a provincial state of disaster in the province due to the magnitude of the damage caused by the recent civil unrest.
The resolution was taken during Wednesday’s provincial cabinet meeting, chaired by Premier Sihle Zikalala.
The cabinet received a detailed progress report as most of the organs of state have conducted their preliminary assessments to determine the extent of the damages and cost implications.
Provincial government spokesperson, Lennox Mabaso, said the current estimated costs of damages and relief required for the sector departments is more than R1.53 billion whereas the municipal damages require over R47.7 million.
The interim financial implications is R1.58 billion.
Mabaso said, the cabinet, however also noted that the financial implications for the damages and recovery costs were still not final.
Mabaso said it was resolved that with the work done so far, the situation is beyond the provincial and municipal capacity to deal with the cost of public riots and unrest as reported.
"As such, the provincial executive council recommended to submit for classification to the national disaster management centre in terms of section 23(1)(b) of the Disaster Management Act.
"The declaration of a provincial state of disaster will support the reprioritisation of budgets to implement the repairs and recovery programmes," he said.
Mabaso said the provincial government also conveyed sincerest appreciation to President Cyril Ramaphosa, the South African National Defence Force and South African Police Service for their role in securing peace in KwaZulu-Natal and the country.