People fear that sending Zuma back to prison may cause second wave of unrest

accreditation
0:00
play article
Subscribers can listen to this article
Former president Jacob Zuma.
Former president Jacob Zuma.
Thulie Dlamini, Gallo Images/Sowetan

With news that the Gauteng High Court in Pretoria has ruled that former president Jacob Zuma should return to jail, people in KwaZulu-Natal are already expressing fears that there may be a backlash.

The court ruled on Wednesday that former National Commissioner of Correctional Services Arthur Fraser's decision to place former president Jacob Zuma on medical parole was unlawful.

ALSO READ | Jacob Zuma medical parole unlawful, he should go back to jail - court

Some are worried that the backlash could result in a second wave of unrest as was seen in July.

Colin David, group director of Mi7 said they have heard rumours of possible unrest following the court ruling that Zuma should go back to prison to serve his 15-month contempt of court sentence. He added that they are on standby to deal with possible unrest and said more staff have been deployed to the CBD.

Shaheen Suleiman of Magma Security said that he had already been approached by businesses for pre-bookings to provide 50 guards in one case and 20 in another as fears simmered that looting could again break out.

ALSO READ | Decision to send Jacob Zuma back to jail ‘should be rejected’- Carl Niehaus

He said communities should get their contingency plans in place.

“Have your back up plans ready. We must not take any threat lightly. Be ready. Let help be a call away. We already know the police can’t cope with this alone. All the security forces need to work together hand in hand.”

*This is a developing story.

We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For 14 free days, you can have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today. Thereafter you will be billed R75 per month. You can cancel anytime and if you cancel within 14 days you won't be billed. 
Subscribe to News24
Daily Poll
AfriForum has launched a legal bid to have the five-year renewal of drivers’ licences scrapped. What are your thoughts on the matter?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
I agree. The renewals are a waste of time and money
92% - 56 votes
The department has to keep a check on drivers somehow
7% - 4 votes
It makes no difference to me - I drive without a licence anyway
2% - 1 votes
Vote

E-Editions

Read the digital editions of Witness here.
Read now