UPDATED | Msunduzi issues wrong date for planned outage of more than 16 hours for parts of Pietermaritzburg

0:00
play article
Subscribers can listen to this article
The busbar constructed at Retief primary station to help keep the lights on in the hundreds of homes and businesses in the coming weeks as the repairs are expected to be completed on January 28.PHOTO: Moeketsi Mamane
The busbar constructed at Retief primary station to help keep the lights on in the hundreds of homes and businesses in the coming weeks as the repairs are expected to be completed on January 28.PHOTO: Moeketsi Mamane
  • Msunduzi issued the wrong date for the outage
  • The outage is necessary for repairs to the Retief Street substation
  • Residents should prepare for the outage to take place on Tuesday, January 26

Parts of the Pietermaritzburg CBD, as well as residential and business areas will be without electricity for more than 16 hours next Tuesday.

The date has been clarified after Msunduzi issued a notice on their Facebook page with the incorrect date for the outage on it.

The outage is necessary for part of the repairs that are currently being undertaken at the Retief primary substation. The planned outage comes after the substation caught fire on December 30 leaving affected areas of supply without electricity for eight days.

The busbar has been constructed to help keep the lights on in the hundreds of homes and businesses in the coming weeks as the repairs are expected to be completed on January 28. The busbar will help in bypassing the indoor switchgear as they need to replace the indoor board.

The engineers on site will be “cutting over to the temporary outdoor busbar from the indoor board which was affected by the fire.”

The power supply will be cut off on Tuesday January 26 from 7.30 am until midnight.

The areas that will be affected by the planned outage are; Townbush, Investicore Centre, Oak Park, Montrose, City East, VCC, Wembley, Liberty Mall, Chase Valley, Greys Hospital and parts of the CBD.

Ward 25 councillor, Dave Ryder, said he knew the outage was coming but he did not expect it to last more than 12 hours. He said he previously asked the engineers on site if they could do it overnight when people are sleeping.

“People are not going to be happy but I suppose this has to happen to improve our supply so that we stop having the regular outages,” he said.

• nokuthula.ntuli@witness.co.za
We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For only R75 per month, you have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today.
Subscribe to News24
Daily Poll
South Africa's Information Regulator says Facebook can’t force SA WhatsApp users to sign over cellphone numbers. WhatsApp asked users to sign off on its new privacy policy by May 15. Users who miss deadline won't be able to text or make calls. What is your position on the matter?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
I accepted the new privacy policy without even reading it
12% - 2 votes
I will accept it or have accepted it, but I still don’t understand it
12% - 2 votes
I am not accepting this new privacy policy, I’ll use other apps
47% - 8 votes
People must calm down; it will still be safe to use WhatsApp
29% - 5 votes
Vote
Latest Issue

View the Witness in PDF

Latest Issue
Read the latest news from KZN in digital form.
Read now