Update | Flats on Pietermaritz Street in Pietermaritzburg razed in fire

accreditation
Share your Subscriber Article
You have 5 articles to share every month. Send this story to a friend!
This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.
0:00
play article
Subscribers can listen to this article
People gather around after a block of flats on fire on Pietermaritz Street caught fire.
People gather around after a block of flats on fire on Pietermaritz Street caught fire.
Moeketsi Mamane

An electric fault at a flat at 480 Pietermaritz Street in Pietermaritzburg is believed to be the cause of a fire that razed four flats.

Station Officer of the Msunduzi Fire Prevention’s main station, Ronny Gwamanda said tenants said they had reported the electric fault on the power points but it was never fixed. “A TV that was plugged in that power point also caught fire. It spread to other flats through windows and doors,” said Gwamanda.

One woman suffered minor injuries on her forehead while she was trying to recover some of her items in the flat. 

Support independent journalism
Get 14 days free to read all our investigative and in-depth journalism. Thereafter you will be billed R75 per month. You can cancel anytime and if you cancel within 14 days you won't be billed.
Subscribe
Already a subscriber? Sign in
Daily Poll
Do you feel safe in your home?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
Yes, I stay in a safe neighbourhood
22% - 34 votes
Yes, I have the best security systems
5% - 8 votes
No, we hope/pray for the the best everyday
60% - 94 votes
I have a weapon in case I need it
13% - 20 votes
Vote

E-Editions

Read the digital editions of Witness here.
Read now