Robber killed man for screaming out

Robbers admit that the shot and killed shop owner.
Robbers admit that the shot and killed shop owner.

A man has admitted he shot dead Allandale shop owner Shaik Ahmed Ali (68) during a robbery last month told a judge that while he was looking for money Ali had started screaming out loudly.

The gunman, Thabiso Justice Ndlovu (20), and co-accused Nqobani Timothy Dlamini (21) and Lindokuhle Ndlovu (35) all pleaded guilty before Pietermaritzburg high court Judge Piet Bezuidenhout to Ali’s murder and to robbing him and his wife, Farzana, of a gold and silver ring.

After finding the three men guilty, the court adjourned the case to Monday for victim impact statements from Ali’s family members.

Describing what happened on the day of the incident, January 19, Thabiso Ndlovu said a few weeks before that day he told his co-perpetrators that he knew of a way they could get money.

“At that stage we were all battling to earn a living and were in desperate need to obtain money in order to feed our families. I indicated to them that there was a shop in the Allandale area that was owned by very old people who kept lots of money on the premises. We decided that we would rob this shop,” he said.

Ndlovu said on the day in question the three of them and another person, named “Mbongeni”, had gone to Alison Auto Paints Shop.

“We were armed. I had a firearm in my possession. My companions also armed themselves with weapons.”

Ndlovu said he entered first and pointed his gun at the occupants in the shop. He had focused his attention on Shaik Ali who was behind the counter, he said.

“When he saw the firearm he ducked behind the counter.

“I jumped over the counter and instructed him not to move.”

Ndlovu said as he began looking for where the money was kept, Ali started “screaming out loudly”.

He went over to Ali but before reaching him he took a gold and silver ring from a woman who was kneeling on the floor, said Ndlovu.

“When I reached the deceased [Ali] I shot him once on the upper part of his body. My companions and I then fled the scene. I was arrested three weeks later,” he said.

Ndlovu’s two co-accused confirmed his version of what happened.

According to the state’s indictment Ali died in Grey’s Hospital of a gunshot injury that damaged his lungs, liver, bowel, pancreas and bladder.

We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For only R75 per month, you have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today.
Subscribe to News24
Daily Poll
Are you feeling the pain at the petrol pumps?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Yes, it’s worrying
41% - 28 votes
No, I hardly use my car anymore
3% - 2 votes
I worry about the knock-on effect on everything else
57% - 39 votes


Read the digital editions of Witness here.
Read now