The Capital City Marathon’s organising committee are set to decide on Friday a way forward for the second edition of the race.
This year’s race is supposed to be held next month in Pietermaritzburg, but with the second wave of Covid-19 gaining momentum in the country things look blurry for the event.
Chairperson of the marathon Steve Mkasi confirmed that by the end of the week a decision will have been made.
“We are meeting on Friday but like I said last month it’s really not promising,” said Mkasi.
The chairperson said though they are looking for other alternatives to have the event go ahead, a virtual race is not an option for them.
A number of races in the country and around the globe have opted to stage virtual races and some have been described as a huge success by their organisers.
ALSO READ | New race for the city
“We have another concept that we are planning to do instead of the normal or virtual race. But first we would have to know the number of runners that we can have since we are on level three [of the lockdown],” said Mkasi.
The Witness understands that the Capital City Marathon bosses are hoping to hold the race over two days at different secluded venues that don’t affect traffic or require police or marshals.
Their plan depends on ASA’s approval.