Alternative ways to look at the proposed Under-21s drinking ban

2015-08-15 16:56

Setting the drinking age at 21 while allowing people at the age of 18 to vote makes perfect sense to me. After all, drunk at the age of 18 and you may inadvertently elect politicians who can reason, that is if such politicians exist.

I received the following comments during my interviews with fictitious Under-21s:

I am afraid that if I come to think little of drinking; I may entertain the idea of becoming a politician and doing nothing useful all day long.

The government drove me to drink and now they want to curb me.

I get more goodness from alcohol than from the President’s speeches.

The problem with a strong drink is that you may shoot at a politician and miss.

Alcohol is my only narcotic now that living in a real democracy disturbs me.

There is hardly anything meaningful left for me to do now that we have freedom, except perhaps, drinking and being merry all day long.

Alcohol is the anaesthesia by which I endure political conflicts, religious conflicts, racial conflicts, family conflicts, work conflicts...

Alcohol: The last refuge from human civilisation.

Alcohol: A solution to all life's problems, especially when the solution is in my body.

Converting shopping malls into beer gardens is an effective way to revitalize the economy.

Alcohol: It gives people hope in a world torn apart by alcohol.

It is a pity since it is 90% of alcoholics that give the other 10% a bad name.

On a serious note, alcohol consumption is a complex multifaceted problem. If the drug problem is anything to go by, I am not convinced that an age ban will be of much help.

News24 Voices Terms & Conditions.

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

AB praises selfless skipper

2010-11-21 18:15

Inside News24

 
/News
Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.