Bloodshed after teen break-up


The first thing he saw when he walked into his son’s house was blood spatters on the white walls he’d painted two days earlier.

“My first thought was to wonder where they came from,” Willie Morton (55) says.

The spatters couldn’t prepare him for the horrific scene just three steps away: his son, Quintin (18), lying on his stomach in a pool of blood, one arm above his head and blood still seeping from his wounds.

“I still see it when I close my eyes,” says Willie, an electrical contractor. It’s three weeks since his youngest child and only son was battered to death on 24 September in the house next to his in Volksrust, Mpumalanga.

He rubs his eyes and looks at his wife, Issy (49), sitting beside him.

“Willie screamed and I ran out to see what was happening,” she says. “I couldn’t believe my eyes. There was blood clotted in his hair and he was caked in it up to his eyelashes. I touched him, hoping to feel a pulse, just a bit of life. But he was gone.”

They immediately suspected who was responsible for the brutal killing because they knew about threatening SMSes Quintin had received after breaking up with his girlfriend in January.

Days after the murder the 16-year-old ex-girlfriend, who may not be named because she’s a minor, and a friend, Francois Potgieter (20), were arrested.

It’s believed Quintin was hit on the head from behind with a drive shaft and struck 36 times on the chest and back with a claw hammer.

His shattered parents believe he was killed because he refused to make up with his ex.

“They’d been together for about two years,” says Issy, who works at a pharmacy. “I didn’t like her from the beginning.

She was domineering and jealous and wasn’t even polite to him.”

After they broke up the girl often sent Quintin threatening SMSes. She also begged him to take her back.

“I don’t know exactly what happened between them but it was bad enough for me to ask Quintin if we should get a protection order against her,” Issy says. “He said it wasn’t necessary . . . (but) he slept with a sword in his bedroom.”

A day after the murder his ex and her mother stopped in front of their house to give Issy a letter. “My daughters took it and didn’t want me to read it. It’s now with the police. In the letter she said she hoped the monster who did this to Quintin is caught.”

Potgieter and the girl have appeared in court. His bail application was turned down and she was released on bail of R2 000. The case resumes on 8 November.

See YOU’s 28 October issue for the full article.

We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For 14 free days, you can have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today. Thereafter you will be billed R75 per month. You can cancel anytime and if you cancel within 14 days you won't be billed. 
Subscribe to News24
Read your favourite magazine in a convenient PDF form.
Read now