Makes 9 large squares Preparation time: 20 min Baking time: 20-25 min
- 250 ml (1 c) cake flour, sifted
- 3 ml (generous ½ t) salt
- 3 ml (generous ½ t) baking powder
- 1 ml (¼ t) bicarbonate of soda
- 100 g walnuts, chopped
- 80 ml (1/3 c) margarine
- 250 ml (1 c) brown sugar
- 15 ml (1 T) hot water
- 1 egg
- 5 ml (1 t) vanilla essence
- 90 g milk chocolate, chopped, OR 125 ml (½ c) chocolate chips
Preheat the oven to 180 °C. Grease a 20 cm square baking tin.
1 Sift together the dry ingredients and stir in the nuts.
2 Melt the margarine, remove from the heat and stir in the sugar and water. Allow to cool.
3 Beat the egg and vanilla essence into the margarine mixture. Slowly add the flour mixture and stir until smooth. Pour into the prepared baking tin.
4 Sprinkle the chocolate over and bake for 20-25 minutes.
5 Allow to cool and cut into squares.