Makes: 12 Preparation: 15 min Baking: 12 min
- 500 ml (2 c) self-raising flour
- 50 g butter
- 45 ml (3 T) castor sugar
- 2,5 ml (½ t) baking powder
- 1 ml (¼ t) salt
- 50 g marzipan, cubed
- 100 g dried fruit cake mix
- 80 ml (? c) milk plus extra for brushing
- 60 ml (¼ c) brandy
Preheat the oven to 180°C. Lightly grease a baking sheet.
1. Put the self-raising flour into a large bowl. Cut the butter into cubes and add it to the flour. Gently rub the butter into the flour until it is the consistency of breadcrumbs.
2. Add the castor sugar, baking powder, salt, marzipan and cake mix to the flour and butter. Give it a quick stir to ensure all of the ingredients are evenly distributed.
3. Make a well in the middle and add the milk and brandy. With as little action as possible, mix the milk and brandy into the dry ingredients using your hands until the mixture has come together.
4. Dust a work surface with flour, place the dough on the floured surface and pat it flat.
5. Use a round cutter to press into the dough and carefully lift out a scone. Place it on the baking sheet. Cut as many scones as you can, ball up the remaining dough, pat flat and repeat cutting out more scones until all the dough has been used. Brush a little milk onto the top of each scone.
6. Put in the oven and bake for 12 minutes until they’re done. Remove from the oven and place on a wire rack to cool.