Is it time to replace your old beauty products? Here are four tips that will make the process quicker:
Step 1: Assess
You have to be ruthless. Collect all your make-up, hair and skincare products. Clean out your handbag, cupboards, car and desk. Having everything in one place makes it easier for you to assess what to get rid of.
STEP 2: Toss out broken items
Broken compacts, eyeshadows and lipsticks just look messy.
STEP 3: Toss out old items
Not sure how old is too old? Jar-like containers don’t preserve products as well as airless pump bottles. Here’s a guide to how long products last:
- Water-based foundation
- Liquid/gel liner
- Gel cream blush
- Lip gloss
- Oil-based foundation
- Powder blush
- Nail polish: Air degrades the texture of the polish, so make sure you always clean the rim of the bottle before closing it. That way it can last up to two years.
- Skincare and hair care: Check the label for an icon of a little jar with a number on it. The number tells you how many months the product can be safely used after opening.
- Pencils (lip and eye), but be sure to sharpen them often
STEP 4: Replace
Here’s a general guide to what your beauty drawers should contain.
- Treatment (for your specific skin concern: acne, pigmentation, anti-ageing, dryness)
- Eye cream
- Sun protection
- Mask (colour-treated, chemically damaged, dry hair, dry scalp, oily scalp)
- Leave-in treatment
- Heat protector
- Styling aid (mousse, oil, styling cream)
- Finishing product (sheen spray, hairspray or matte spray)
- Foundation in the formula of your choice: liquid, powder, BB cream, mousse, cream
- Primer to create a smooth finish and make your foundation last longer
- Concealer to hide eye bags, spots and other blemishes
- Powder to set your foundation, but only if you’re prone to oily skin
- Eyelash curlers
- Brow pencil – filling in your brows frames your face, giving you a more youthful appearance
- Brow gel to set the eye pencil to keep your brows in place all day
- Natural-shade eyeshadow gives you a groomed look
- Natural-shade lipstick/gloss
- Rosy pink blush which is the most flattering shade across all skin tones and colours