"We are willing to engage with all the relevant people to help find a speedy and amicable resolution to this matter," he said in a statement.
"We are deeply concerned about these developments and hope that SABC management, the production company and worker representatives will work together to reach a speedy resolution to this matter."
He said the department had always supported calls for the formation of a strong creative workers' representative body to look after the interests of the artists.
The SABC announced on Monday that 16 actors who had embarked on a strike had been fired. The national broadcaster's spokesman Kaizer Kganyago said the termination followed a call for the actors to return for recordings.
The cast claimed the broadcaster and production company had failed to deliver on promises made to them during their strike last year.
The cast was reportedly promised three-year contracts which they had not received. They also wanted salary adjustments.
The actors who have been fired include Menzi Ngubane, who plays the character of ruthless businessman Sbusiso Dlomo, Nambitha Mpumlwana (Mawande), Patrick Shai (Patrick Tlaole), Sophie Ndaba (Queen Ndaba), Seputla Sebogodi (Kenneth Mashaba), Winnie Ntshaba (Khetiwe Buthelezi), and Katlego Danke (Dineo Dlomo).