If you prefer a crispy crust, serve the custard slices immediately before the crackers become soggy.
Makes 6 Preparation time: 10 min Baking time: 15 min Setting time: 45 min
- 1 roll (400 g) butter puff pastry
- 1 egg yolk, whisked
- 500 ml (2 c) readymade vanilla custard
- 15 ml (1 T) gelatine, dissolved in 125 ml (½ c) warm water
- icing sugar for dusting on top
Preheat the oven to 200 °C. Line a baking sheet with baking paper.
1. Roll out the pastry until thinner and cut into 12 rectangles. Place on the baking sheet, brush with egg and bake for 15 minutes.
2. Heat the custard. Stir the gelatine into a little custard, then add to the remaining custard. Chill while beating occasionally until it begins to set.
3. Sandwich custard between two pastry rectangles and dust with icing sugar.