'He couldn’t have done it alone': friends of Anika Smit murder suspect 'shocked to the core'


André van Wyk’s friends are shocked that the 24-year-old from Pretoria North handed himself over to police this past weekend.

“WTF Smiley my friendy, WTF,” wrote Paulaq Oelofse, a friend of André’s on Facebook on Monday afternoon. André’s nickname is apparently ‘Smiley’.

“Can’t believe it,” wrote Ze-Louise Saaiman after sharing a link about André’s court appearance on his Facebook page.

André handed himself over at the police station in Pretoria North on Saturday. He claims that he was involved in the murder of teen Anika Smit. He appeared in the Pretoria North magistrate’s court on Monday morning.

Andreas Johannes van Wyk faces charges of murder and rape. PHOTO: Facebook Andreas Johannes van Wyk faces charges of murder and rape. PHOTO: Facebook

“I am shocked,” commented one Andrea Rutkowski Spies on Paulaq’s Facebook post. “I don’t even have any words. We’ve hung out so many times, we had classes together – I thought he was decent… Wow I am shocked to my core…” Andrea wrote.

According to Paulaq she can’t believe that André would do something like this. “Smiley was never violent; he was also so soft and cute actually. He couldn’t even fight at school,” she added further down in the comments section.

One Isabel Suzette Viviers asks if there wasn’t possibly others involved. “The report says he was involved. Could it be there are two or more people involved? Because Smiley isn’t a violent person and he would never do something like this.”

Anika’s body was found in her bedroom in 2010. Anika’s body was found in her bedroom in 2010. “He wasn’t capable of doing something like this alone, I don’t even think it’s necessary that his ‘friends’ speculate because newspapers are just looking for a juicy story,” said Helen Swanepoel. Anika was found dead in her bedroom in 2010. She was booked off for an ear infection and stayed home. Her dad, Johan Smit, found her body. She had suffered stab wounds and her hands were chopped off and have never been found. She was a grade 11 student at Gerrit Maritz High School at the time.

The judicial investigation into Anika’s death continued today in the Pretoria North magistrate’s court, after it started a year ago. The judicial investigation was postponed.

André will appear in court again on 26 September.

More on this story:

Anika Smit murder: Andreas van Wyk back in court next week

Murder suspect in Anika Smit case named six years after Pretoria teen’s brutal killing

My child, mutilated

We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For 14 free days, you can have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today. Thereafter you will be billed R75 per month. You can cancel anytime and if you cancel within 14 days you won't be billed. 
Subscribe to News24
Read your favourite magazine in a convenient PDF form.
Read now