It may be the one question to which every South African would like to know the answer: how do you become successful? This week businessman Alex Pestana shares his tips for success with the learners in MySchool Dream School SA.
Unfortunately there’s no formula to get rich quickly and work, of course, isn’t child’s play either. “One of the most difficult lessons in life is that sometimes you have to do things that you don’t like. You will also have to work with people who aren’t necessarily your friends. It’s tough, because life isn’t easy,” Pestana says to the Dream School learners.
But there’s a silver lining – anyone can be successful. And a university degree isn’t even a prerequisite.
Make your business successful:
- What do you know? Know what you know and what you don’t know. You need to work to find out what’s needed to reach your specific goal. Talk to people who work in the industry and do thorough research.
- Always ask why. Be inquisitive and find out! There’s no such thing as a stupid question. You might be surprised how many people are willing to help you – for mahala!
- Never stop learning. Never think you know everything – there’s always something new to discover. Anyone can be a teacher to you.
- Learn from others’ mistakes. Especially when you’re young, it’s a good idea to have a mentor – someone who can show you the ropes and teach you lessons from their own experience. To learn all the tough lessons in business is expensive – rather learn from other people’s mistakes.
- Your attitude determines everything. Don’t allow your background or other challenges to become an excuse. Many successful people have had to overcome various obstacles to achieve success. Your attitude should always be: “Yes, I can!”
- You’ll have to work hard. Work isn’t child’s play – hard work is the only thing that will make you better than your competitors. There’s no substitute for hard work!
- What are your values? Make sure your actions show others you’re reliable, honest and diligent. And always be on time! The world isn’t going to wait for you to get your act together.
- Persevere. Don’t give up, even when it gets hard. Life is full of disappointments. If you want to achieve success, find a way to learn something from those disappointments and turn it into a success.
- Be economical. Don’t spend money unnecessarily, especially when you start a new business. Be careful of loans and debt. Saving money will teach you discipline.
- Communicate. Talk to people and praise them for good work. People enjoy working with others who can clearly communicate their needs and who notice their hard work.
- Practice diversity. Everyone likes people who think just like us, but it’s crucial to listen to more than one opinion. You’ll never have all the answers. Perhaps someone with a different point of view can come up with an interesting solution.
- Business is about people. To run a successful business you have to have people you can trust to get the job done. Business isn’t about money or bank statements – it’s about relationships.
If you are an entrepreneur or just dreaming about starting your own business, download YOU's PDF to find out what characteristics you need to be a successful entrepreneur.
CLICK HERE to download page 1
CLICK HERE to download page 2