No bail for Griekwastad boy

accreditation

Northern Cape Judge President Frans Kgomo has refused to extend the bail of a 17-year-old boy convicted of the 2012 Griekwastad farm murders.

Kgomo said on Thursday reasons for the decision would be available at a later stage.

"I am not satisfied that it would be in the interest of justice," the judge said.

The boy was found guilty in the Northern Cape High Court earlier in the day.

He was convicted of killing Northern Cape farmer Deon Steenkamp (44) his wife Christelle (43) and daughter Marthella (14) on their farm Naauwhoek near Griekwastad on April 6, 2012.

The teenager was also found guilty on a charge of raping Marthella and defeating the ends of justice.

SAPA

We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For only R75 per month, you have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today.
Subscribe to News24