The South African athletes continue to impress at the Olympics in Rio! The latest member of #TeamSA to step on to the winner's podium is Sunette Viljoen, who won the silver in the women's javelin. That makes Sunette the first ever African woman to earn a medal in javelin -- and the first woman at this year's Olympics to win a medal.
Her best throw was an incredible 64.25 m. Sunette was in the lead until Sara Kolak of Croatia overtook her with a throw of 66.18 m. Having just missed out in London (she came fourth) in 2012, the 32-year-old must be over the moon about her win -- as are we! Congratulations, Sunette!
Here's our medal tally thus far
- Chad le Clos won silver in 100 m butterfly and 200 m freestyle
- Cameron van der Burgh silver in the men's 100 m breaststroke
- Lawrence Brittain and Shaun Keeling won silver in the men's rowing pairs
- The men's rugby sevens team won bronze
- Luvo Manyonga took silver in the men's long jump
- Wayde van Niekerk won gold in the men's 400 m
- Henri Schoeman won bronze in the men's triathlon.