- 1 - roll puff pastry, thawed
- 6-7 - Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and finely sliced
- 150g - butter
- 150g - castor sugar or xylitol castor sugar
- - TO SERVE
- - fresh cream or ice cream
1. Unroll the pastry. Using a dinner plate or baking tin as a template, cut out a 23-cm circle. Use a rolling pin to lift the pastry and place it on a baking tray that has been lined with baking paper. Prick the pastry all over with a fork.
2. Arrange the apple slices on the pastry, working from the outer edge towards the centre and overlapping them as you go. Dot the apples with butter and sprinkle evenly with castor sugar, reserving 1-2 tablespoons.
3. Cover the tart with a sheet of baking paper and place a baking tray on top. Press down well.
4. Bake in a preheated oven of 180°C for 25 minutes. Remove from the oven, lift off the top tray and baking paper and sprinkle with the remaining castor sugar.
5. Return to the oven for a further 15-20 minutes, until the apples are caramelized and the base is cooked through at the centre and crisp around the edges. Set aside to cool for 10 minutes. Slide the tart onto a serving platter.
6. To serve Cut into slices and serve hot with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.