Prep Time: 1 hour
- 30ml - olive oil
- 3 - whole onions, diced
- 4 - garlic cloves
- 400g - 4 tins whole peeled tomatoes
- 70g - 2 tins tomato paste
- 500ml - chicken stock
- - 1 packet streaky bacon
- - salted butter, for spreading on the bread
- - 1 loaf good-quality sourdough, sliced into 1cm slices
- - ½ onion, thinly sliced
- - 6 slices Boerenkaas or cumin cheese, cut into thick slices
- 25g - petite herbs, to garnish
- - salt and black pepper
Over the coals, get a potjie pot to medium heat.
1 Tomato soup Add the oil and fry the onions and garlic until caramelised and translucent.
2 Add the tomatoes, tomato paste and chicken stock, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
3 Set aside to cool, then place in a blender and blitz until smooth. Season to taste.
4 Braai broodjie Braai the bacon till crispy. Spread butter generously on both sides of the sourdough slices. Place the cheese, then bacon, then cheese again, ending with the onion, in between the layers of sourdough.
5 The best toasties take time so watch your heat. The slower the better. Garnish with the herbs. Season as you go (testing all the time).