- - SAUCE
- 750ml - low-sodium soy sauce
- 500ml - beef stock
- - grated zest of 2 lemons
- 4 - garlic cloves
- 2 - star anise pods
- 1 - blade of lemongrass
- 1cm - fresh ginger, peeled
- - CHICKEN
- 6 - thigh-and-drumstick chicken portions
- - salt and freshly ground pepper
I love a fusion of Asian seasoning with our familiar flavours. This is one of those recipes. Soy sauce has a strong taste and gives braaied chicken incredible flavour. Precook the chicken in the oven before braaiing.
Make a fire with enough coals for braaiing. Preheat the oven to 180°C. Keep a foldover braai grid handy.
1. Sauce Put the soy sauce, beef stock, lemon zest, garlic, star anise, lemongrass and ginger in a large pot.
2. Bring to the boil, then turn the heat down and simmer for 5-8 minutes.
3. Chicken Arrange the chicken portions in an ovenproof dish and pour the sauce over.
4. Cover with tinfoil and roast for 20 minutes.
5. While the chicken is in the oven, ensure you have enough coals for medium heat.
6. Remove the chicken from the oven, transfer to the braai grid and season well with salt and pepper (keep the roasting juices handy).
7. Braai the chicken skin-side down for about 5 minutes.
8. Turn over and brush with the roasting juices.
9. Repeat until the chicken is golden brown and cooked through.
10. Transfer the chicken to a serving plate and drizzle with some of the pan juices. Serve hot