Prep Time: 40 min
Servings: 8-10 people
Cooking Time: 120 minutes
- 4-6 - chicken pieces (thighs and drumsticks)
- 500-800g - stewing beef (short rib, goulash and marrow bones) OR pork stewing
- - meat (use one meat option to cut costs)
- - braai salt and freshly ground pepper
- - oil for shallow frying
- 250g - diced bacon
- 2-3 - onions, cut into pieces
- 2 - garlic cloves, crushed
- 1-2 - green and/or red peppers, diced
- 400g - chopped tomatoes in sauce
- 50g - tomato paste
- 250ml - chicken stock
- 125ml - white wine (alcohol-free wine is more affordable while still adding flavour)
- 5ml - red wine vinegar
- - paprika
- - a little sugar
- 400g - 2 cans cannellini or butter beans
- - a few sprigs of fresh thyme and parsley
- - a few bay leaves
- - mash potato
1 Season all the meat with braai salt and pepper. Fry in a large pot until browned. Remove from the pot.
2 In the same pot, fry the bacon, onion, garlic and peppers until the bacon is cooked and the onion has softened.
3 Mix the canned tomatoes with the tomato paste, chicken stock, wine and vinegar and add to the pot. Season with paprika and sugar, as well as salt (if needed). Add the meat and simmer until tender.
4 Add the beans and fresh herbs and simmer until flavoursome and warmed through.
5 To serve Serve with mash potato.