- 200g - butter
- 160g - dark chocolate, chopped
- 3 - eggs
- 180ml - light brown sugar
- 60ml - strong coffee
- 15ml - vanilla essence
- 250ml - self-raising flour, sifted
- - a pinch of salt
- 80g - dark chocolate, chopped
- 80ml - cream
Preheat the oven to 170°C. Line a 20cm round cake tin with baking paper and grease with non-stick spray.
1. Put the butter in a saucepan and heat until melted. Turn the heat down, add the chocolate and stir until melted. Remove from the heat.
2. Beat the eggs and sugar together, then add the coffee bit by bit while continuing to mix.
3. Mix a third of the chocolate mixture into the egg mixture (still mixing continuously). Add the rest of the chocolate mixture as well as the vanilla essence and mix well.
4. Add the flour and salt and lightly mix with a wooden spoon. Transfer the batter to the prepared cake tin and bake for 35-40 minutes or until cooked, but still moist in the centre.
5. Leave the cake to cool in the tin for 30 minutes, then carefully transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
6. Topping Put the chocolate and cream in a microwaveable measuring jug and microwave for 30 seconds, stirring every now and again, until the cream has melted. If the chocolate hasn’t melted completely, microwave for another 10-20 seconds.
7. Drizzle the topping over the cake and serve.