- - HAKE
- 250ml - all-purpose flour
- 2,5ml - paprika
- 5ml - garlic salt
- 7,5ml - Cajun spice
- - salt and black pepper
- 1 - large egg
- 250ml - soda water, chilled
- 1l - canola oil
- 1kg - hake fillets, skin on and deboned
- - HERBY DIPPING SAUCE
- 250ml - mayonnaise
- 15ml - Dijon mustard
- 1 - large pickled gherkin, finely chopped
- 15g - fresh English parsley, chopped
- 10g - fresh dill, chopped
- 10ml - freshly squeezed lemon juice
- - salt and pepper
- - TO SERVE
- - fried chips
- - lemon wedges
1. Hake In a large bowl, create a dry mixture by whisking together the flour, paprika, garlic salt, Cajun spice and salt and pepper.
2. In a separate bowl, create a wet mixture by whisking together the egg and soda water.
3. Create a batter by slowly combining the wet mixture with the dry mixture, whisking continuously. Once combined, set aside to rest for 10-15 minutes.
4. In a medium-large deep pan, heat the oil over medium-high heat to 180°C.
5. Dip the hake fillets in the batter. Make sure they’re evenly coated, and shake off any excess batter.
6. Carefully drop the hake into the oil, two at a time – don’t overcrowd the pan. Fry for 6 minutes, or until golden brown.
7. Once cooked, remove the hake fillets from the oil and transfer to paper towels to drain any excess oil.
8. Herby dipping sauce Mix together all the ingredients in a small bowl until well combined.
9. To serve Serve the hake hot with fried chips, lemon wedges and the dipping sauce.