- 1 - can (400g) sardines in tomato or chilli sauce
- 4 - slices brown bread, crusts removed
- 1 - medium onion, chopped
- 2 - garlic cloves, crushed
- - a little oil
- - a generous handful chopped coriander or parsley
- - juice and grated zest of 1 lemon
- 3ml - ground cumin
- - salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 - egg, beaten
- - breadcrumbs
- - oil for shallow frying
- - SALAD DRESSING
- 80ml - oil
- 250ml - green rooibos tea with buchu, brewed with three teabags
- - juice and grated zest of ½ lemon
- 30-45ml - apple cider vinegar
- 1,25ml - sea salt flakes
- 30-45ml - sugar
- - SALAD
- 2 - cans (2x400g) four bean mix or butter beans, drained
- 3 - carrots, julienned, OR a quarter cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 - onion, sliced into thin strips
- 1 - green pepper, diced
- ½ - cucumber, diced (optional)
- 1 - tomato, diced
- 1 - pear, diced (optional)
- - TO SERVE
- - lemon wedges
- - mash potato (optional)
1. Fish cakes Drain and mash the fish. Keep the liquid from the can and pour just enough over the bread to moisten it. Leave to soften, then mash and add to the fish.
2. Pan-fry half the onion and garlic in a little oil.
3. Add the fried as well as the raw onion and garlic to the fish mixture and combine.
4. Add the herbs, lemon zest and juice and mix. Season with cumin, salt and pepper. Add the egg and mix. Sprinkle the breadcrumbs in a shallow dish. Put lumps of the fish mixture in the crumbs and roll until covered. Chill in the fridge for 15 minutes.
5. Heat a little oil in a pan and fry the fish cakes until brown on both sides.
6. Salad dressing Mix all the ingredients together.
7. Salad Toss the salad ingredients and drizzle with the salad dressing. Leave to stand until needed – the longer, the better.
8. To serve Add a spoonful of salad to each plate and put the fish cakes on top. Serve with the lemon wedges and mash (if using).