- 5 - eggs
- 375ml - castor sugar
- 225g - butter, cubed
- 400g - 70% dark chocolate
This cake is delicious with a dollop of double-thick crème fraîche.
Preheat the oven to 100°C and grease a 24cm cake tin.
1. Place the eggs and 250ml (1c) castor sugar in a stand mixer with a whisk attachment and beat until pale and thick.
2. Place the remaining castor sugar with a splash of water in a saucepan and melt over low heat. Cook until small bubbles form and the mixture is turning into syrup.
3. Melt the butter and chocolate in a bowl over a double boiler. Add the sugar-syrup to the chocolate and mix through.
4. With the stand mixer with the eggs mixing slowly, add the chocolate mixture and beat until well mixed. Pour the mixture into the prepared cake tin. Place on a kitchen cloth in an ovenproof dish and fill the dish halfway with water. Bake for 1 hour, remove from the oven dish and leave to cool.
5. Refrigerate for 2 hours before slicing.