- - SHORTBREAD BASE
- 175g - butter, room temperature
- 90g - castor sugar
- 200g - cake flour
- 50g - cake flour
- - CARAMEL FILLING
- 175g - butter
- 175g - castor sugar
- 50g - golden syrup
- 1 - tin condensed milk
- - TOPPING
- 200g - dark chocolate
- 65ml - fresh cream
Preheat the oven to 160°C. Grease and line a 20cm x 30cm baking sheet with baking paper.
1. Shortbread base Cream the butter and castor sugar together. Add the flour and corn flour and mix to make a dough.
2. Press the dough into the prepared baking sheet, press with a fork and bake for about 25 minutes until a light brown colour.
3. Remove from the oven and cool in the baking sheet.
4. Caramel filling Melt the butter, castor sugar and syrup together in a saucepan on low heat. Add the condensed milk.
5. Stir continuously with a wooden spoon or whisk over low heat until the mixture becomes thick and almost like fudge (about 8 minutes). Stir quickly to prevent the mixture from catching on the bottom of the saucepan.
6. Spread the hot caramel over the shortbread base and cool at room temperature for at least 1 hour to set.
7. Topping Melt the chocolate and cream in the microwave or in a saucepan on low heat. Stir until smooth.
8. Spread the chocolate topping over the caramel and leave to cool. Cut into squares when the chocolate is set and place in the refrigerator until ice cold before removing from the baking sheet.