- - MUFFINS
- 250ml - cake flour
- 125ml - wholewheat or bran-rich flour
- 7,5ml - baking powder
- 2,5ml - bicarbonate of soda
- 2,5ml - salt
- 5ml - ground cinnamon
- 250ml - light brown sugar
- - finely grated zest of 1 orange (optional)
- 100g - pecan nuts, coarsely chopped
- 500ml - grated carrots
- 180ml - cooking oil
- 3 - eggs
- 5ml - vanilla essence
- - FROSTING
- 60ml - butter
- 60ml - smooth cream cheese
- 250ml - icing sugar, sifted
Muffins are a great excuse to have cupcakes for breakfast! Try this version of an old favourite.
Preheat the oven to 180°C. Line 6-8 large or 12 medium muffin tin hollows with paper linings and spritz lightly with non-stick spray.
1. Muffins Mix the dry ingredients well. Add the orange zest (if using), nuts and carrots and mix lightly.
2. Whisk the remainging ingredients together. Pour into the flour mixture and mix lightly. Divide the batter among the prepared muffin hollows.
3. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until done – a skewer inserted in the middle should come out clean. Cool in the pan for 5 minutes then turn out on a wire rack to cool completely.
4. Frosting Spoon the butter and cream cheese into a mixing bowl and beat with an electric beater until light and creamy. Add the icing sugar and beat until smooth and fluffy. Ice the muffins with the mixture.