- 24 - slices white or brown bread
- - butter, for spreading
- - HAM FILLING
- 2 - smoked pork neck steaks (100-150g each)
- 15ml - oil
- 60ml - hot English mustard
- 60ml - creamy mayonnaise
- - CUCUMBER FILLING
- 250ml - cream cheese
- 30ml - chopped chives
- - finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- 5ml - freshly ground pepper
- 1 - cucumber, thinly sliced
- - EGG-SALAD FILLING
- 6 - hard boiled eggs, shelled
- 125ml - mayonnaise
- - a pinch of sugar
- 2,5ml - white pepper
- - a pinch of salt
- 1/2 - cucumber, thinly sliced
Preheat the oven to 230°C. Keep a baking sheet handy.
1. Cut the crusts off the bread and butter each slice.
2. Ham filling Rub each pork steak with oil. Heat a pan and fry the steak for 5 minutes per side or until cooked through. Leave to cool then cut into thin slices.
3. Spread 4 slices of bread with the mustard and arrange the smoked pork slices on top. Spread mayonnaise on other slices of bread and sandwich on top of the pork. Cut the sandwiches as desired and arrange on a cake stand.
4. Cucumber filling Mix the cream cheese, chives, lemon and pepper together. Spread the mixture on top of 4 slices of bread. Arrange the cucumber slices on top and sandwich each with another slice of bread. Cut the sandwiches as desired and add to the cake stand.
5. Egg-salad filling Finely chop or roughly grate the boiled eggs into a mixing bowl. Add the mayonnaise, sugar, pepper and salt, and mix well. Spread the egg mixture on 4 of the bread slices and sandwich the remaining bread slices on top. Cut as desired, garnish with cucumber slices and add to the cake stand.