- 4 - large farm eggs, lightly beaten
- 500ml - cake flour
- 1ml - each ground nutmeg and ground cinnamon
- 2ml - salt
- 250ml - buttermilk
- 200g - white sugar
- 5ml - finely grated lemon rind
- 60ml - butter
- 10ml - baking powder
Preheat the oven to 180 °C. Grease an oven proof dish well.
1. Cream the butter and sugar together until light and creamy. Beat the eggs into the mixture.
2. Sift the flour, salt and spices together three times. Add, alternating with the buttermilk, to the sugar and egg batter.
3. Stir in the lemon rind and baking powder and pour the batter into the prepared dish. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown on top and puffed up.