- 15ml - oil
- 1 - onion, chopped
- 4 - garlic cloves, crushed
- 2-3 - chillies, chopped
- 2cm - fresh ginger, peeled and finely grated
- 2,5ml - cumin
- 5ml - ground coriander
- 10ml - dried oregano
- 10ml - smoked paprika
- 45ml - tomato paste
- 250-300g - lean beef mince
- 2can - chopped tomatoes
- 15ml - light brown sugar
- 750ml - cooked samp and beans
- 125ml - beef stock
- - salt and freshly ground pepper
- 150g - cherry tomatoes, sliced
- 100g - cheddar cheese, grated
- - fresh coriander
- - chopped chilli
- - lime wedges
For a vegetarian version, use cooked lentils instead of mince.
1. Heat the oil in a deep pan and fry the onion until soft. Add the garlic, chillies and ginger and stir-fry for 5 minutes.
2. Mix in all the spices and herbs, then add the tomato paste. Stir-fry for a minute.
3. Add the mince and stirfry for 10 minutes.
4. Mix in the tomatoes and sugar and simmer for another 10 minutes. Mix in the cooked samp and beans and the stock.
5. Simmer for another 5 minutes and season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
6. Spoon into individual bowls. Top with tomato slices and sprinkle the cheddar cheese over. Garnish with fresh coriander, chopped chilli and lime wedges.