- 12 - egg yolks
- - extra castor sugar for sprinkling
- 2 - vanilla pods, slit open
- 225g - castor sugar
- 1l - double cream
Preheat the oven to 120 °C. Grease 12 ramekins with nonstick spray.
1. Bring the cream, vanilla seeds and pods to the boil. Allow to cool slightly.
2. Beat the egg yolks and castor sugar together until well mixed but not frothy (it will form a slight foam on top).
3. Pour the vanilla- flavoured cream into the egg mixture and beat carefully until the egg is just mixed with the cream.
4. Pour through a sieve into the ramekins and bake for 30 minutes until set. Don’t overcook – check after 20 minutes to see if it has set yet. Allow to cool.
5. Just before serving, sprinkle castor sugar over each ramekin and caramelise with a blowtorch.