- - juice and grated zest of 1 lemon
- 15ml - olive oil
- 4 - garlic cloves, crushed
- 60ml - plain yoghurt
- 15ml - tomato paste
- 5ml - each ground cumin, coriander, mustard and paprika
- 1kg - deboned pork shoulder, rind removed and meat cubed (or 1kg goulash cubes)
- - salt and pepper
- - lemon slices (optional)
- 1 - garlic clove, crushed
- 1 - small onion, chopped
- - salt
- 125ml - mayonnaise
- 125ml - plain yoghurt
- 15ml - each chopped spring onion, fresh parsley and fresh dill
- 2,5ml - mustard powder
- 6 - pittas
- 1/2 - iceberg lettuce, shredded
- 1 - red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 - Roma tomatoes, sliced and deseeded
- 1/2 - cucumber, sliced
This dish is similar to a gyro or shwarma and is meant to be eaten with your hands.
1. Mix all the ingredients.
2. Pour the marinade over the meat and marinate for at least 4 hours but preferably overnight.
3. Remove the meat from the marinade, lightly pat dry and season with salt and pepper.
4. Thread the meat cubes and lemon slices (if using) onto wooden or metal skewers. Fry in a griddle pan, braai over medium coals or grill in the oven until done but not dry. Baste with the marinade from time to time during cooking.
5. Grind the garlic, onion and a little salt using a mortar and pestle. Mix well with the rest of the ingredients.
6. Toast the pittas in a pan until hot and puffed up.
7. Cut off one edge of a pitta and open it up. Put lettuce, onion, tomato and cucumber into the pitta. Remove the meat from the skewers and add to the pitta. Repeat with the rest of the ingredients.
8. Add a generous amount of dressing to each pitta and serve immediately.