- 2 - star anise
- - large handful each of fresh coriander, mint and basil leaves
- 30g - fresh coriander
- 2 - red chillies
- 2 - onions, halved
- 1 - cinnamon stick
- - handful of bean sprouts
- 1 - red chilli, finely chopped
- - mange tout, finely chopped
- 1 - pack (800 g) seafood mix, thawed
- 2l - fish stock
- 30ml - brown sugar
- 2 - lemon leaves or lemongrass stems (optional)
- - bunch of spring onions, finely chopped
- 2 - carrots, chopped
- 5cm - fresh ginger, sliced
- 15ml - black peppercorns
- 20g - dried mushrooms
- - juice of 3 limes
- 6-8 - prawns, with shell (optional)
- 1 - lime, cut into wedges
- 3 - whole garlic cloves
- 80ml - soy sauce
- 10ml - Chinese five-spice powder
- 600g - white fish, cubed
- 10ml - cumin seeds
Cook up this scrumptious soup for a hearty winter dish deserving of a date at the dinner table.
1. Put all the ingredients in a large pot and bring to the boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 30 minutes or until fragrant.
2. Drain the stock into a separate container and clean the pot. Return the clear stock to the pot and add the lime juice, brown sugar and soy sauce. Bring to the boil.
3. Add the seafood mix, fish and prawns (if using). Bring to the boil and simmer for about 10 minutes – the seafood and fish should be cooked but still firm.
4. Spoon the soup into bowls and sprinkle the chilli, spring onions, herbs, bean sprouts and mange tout over. Serve with lime wedges on the side.