- 2l - fish stock
- 2 - lemon leaves or lemongrass stems (optional)
- 15ml - black peppercorns
- 3 - whole garlic cloves
- 2 - onions, halved
- 2 - carrots, chopped
- 20g - dried mushrooms
- 5cm - fresh ginger, sliced
- 2 - red chillies
- 1 - cinnamon stick
- 2 - star anise
- 10ml - cumin seeds
- 10ml - Chinese five-spice powder
- 30g - fresh coriander
- - juice of 3 limes
- 30ml - brown sugar
- 80ml - soy sauce
- 1 - pack (800 g) seafood mix, thawed
- 600g - white fish, cubed
- 6-8 - prawns, with shell (optional)
- 1 - red chilli, finely chopped
- - bunch of spring onions, finely chopped
- - large handful each of fresh coriander, mint and basil leaves
- - handful of bean sprouts
- - mange tout, finely chopped
- 1 - lime, cut into wedges
Cook up this scrumptious soup for a hearty winter dish deserving of a date at the dinner table.
1. Put all the ingredients in a large pot and bring to the boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 30 minutes or until fragrant.
2. Drain the stock into a separate container and clean the pot. Return the clear stock to the pot and add the lime juice, brown sugar and soy sauce. Bring to the boil.
3. Add the seafood mix, fish and prawns (if using). Bring to the boil and simmer for about 10 minutes – the seafood and fish should be cooked but still firm.
4. Spoon the soup into bowls and sprinkle the chilli, spring onions, herbs, bean sprouts and mange tout over. Serve with lime wedges on the side.