- 2 - garlic cloves, chopped
- 5ml - cornflour mixed with 15ml (1T) water
- 5ml - each cayenne pepper, ground cumin and ground coriander
- 1can - chakalaka
- 15ml - paprika
- 1can - corn kernels
- 1 - bunch of spinach, washed and chopped
- 1can - baked beans in tomato sauce
- - salt and freshly ground pepper
- 15ml - olive oil
- - chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- 500g - puff pastry
- 250g - beef mince
- 2 - onions, sliced
- 30ml - milk
We put canned food to good use – baked beans in tomato sauce, chakalaka and corn kernels bulk up the filling for these pies.
Preheat the oven to 180°C. Grease 8 hollows of a muffin tin with nonstick spray.
1. Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface. Cut into 8 squares and lightly press each square down into a hollow of the muffin tin – the edges of the pastry should stick out a little. Chill in the fridge until needed.
2. Heat the oil in a deep pan or saucepan and fry the onions and garlic until fragrant. Add the mince and stir-fry until brown. Add the rest of the ingredients (except the cornflour and water) and stir-fry for 10 minutes.
3. Add the cornflour mixture and stir-fry until the filling thickens.
4. Divide the filling between the pastry cups. Fold the edges of the pastry over and lightly brush the surface of each pastry cup with milk.
5. Bake the pies for 25-30 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown and cooked. Set aside to cool in the muffin tin for 10 minutes, then remove carefully. Serve with fresh parsley (if using).