Escalator swallows man and breaks his leg

accreditation
A man broke his leg after he got sucked in by a shopping mall escalator (PHOTO: CEN/MAGAZINEFEATURES.CO.ZA)
A man broke his leg after he got sucked in by a shopping mall escalator (PHOTO: CEN/MAGAZINEFEATURES.CO.ZA)

A man broke his leg after he got sucked in by a shopping mall escalator.

The unidentified man from Kuala Lumpur was visiting a shopping centre in the city when his foot was swallowed by the escalator.

As the man was coming down the escalator his slipper reportedly got sucked into the escalator. His leg was then sucked in by the moving staircase.

A spokesperson from the local fire department says emergency services arrived within five minutes of getting the emergency call.

According to the spokesperson, their main priority at the time was to secure the escalator and stop it from moving further in order to dismantle it and free the man’s leg.

Within 45 minutes, six firemen managed to free the trapped man.

He suffered a broken leg, but medics stated that his injuries could’ve been much worse.

(PHOTO: CEN/MAGAZINEFEATURES.CO.ZA)
 (PHOTO: CEN/MAGAZINEFEATURES.CO.ZA)

Sources: Magazine Features

We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For only R75 per month, you have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today.
Subscribe to News24