A Malaysian partygoer has died after he slipped and landed on a firework he had just lit while celebrating Diwali, the Hindu festival of light.
The 25-year-old, identified by local media only as Mr P Puwnaswaran from Johor in Malaysia, had been celebrating the five-day festival, which involves lighting fireworks, with his family.
However, it ended tragically for the young man, who was working in Singapore. He’d just lit the firework when he slipped and fell on it. The firework exploded underneath him.
His friend told local media that he suffered horrific injuries to his body and face and was rushed to the Kulai Hospital for treatment.
The young man, who was transferred to another hospital because his injuries were severe, sadly died in the early hours of the morning.
“They are all devastated. It was all set for a happy celebration with all the family members with firecrackers for Diwali,” a family friend told the media.
Police confirmed that they’re investigating the case, especially given that larger fireworks are illegal to sell or use in Malaysia.
Source: Magazine Features