Parents die saving child from top-floor apartment blaze

accreditation
Apartment. (Photo: CEN/MAGAZINEFEATURES.CO.ZA)
Apartment. (Photo: CEN/MAGAZINEFEATURES.CO.ZA)

A couple have died saving their young son from a fire on the top floor of an apartment building.

Police are reportedly baffled because the flat’s locked front door was barricaded with furniture on the inside, according to local media.

The blaze took place in a village in Russia.

In footage captured by witnesses, the seven-year-old-boy, whose name hasn’t been released, can be seen carefully lowered to the ground by a rope supported by his dad from the top floor of the block of flats.

A crowd of onlookers screamed as the dad climbed out of the window and appeared to let go of his wife’s hands before plummeting to the ground.

The camerawoman screams again as the mother apparently jumps from the window.

Both parents died from their injuries, according to local media.

Authorities are trying to establish the cause of the fire.

It’s unclear who’s caring for the boy.

Sources: Magazine Features

We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For only R75 per month, you have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today.
Subscribe to News24