Teen electrocuted while using hair straightener

accreditation
(PHOTO: Getty Images/Gallo Images)
(PHOTO: Getty Images/Gallo Images)

A 17-year-old girl tragically lost her life when she was electrocuted while using hair tongs at home.

Melanie Anaya, from San Rafael in western Argentina, reportedly screamed during the incident and was rushed to hospital where she was later declared dead.

When police authorities confirmed that Melanie had died of electrocution, the hair straightener was seized for further investigation.

Martin Carrizo, a stylist from Hair Carrizo in Buenos Aires, said that “hair straighteners are, in general, very safe”.

However, he added: “What can happen is that sometimes the wire starts to twist with the movement, and this can cause internal movement in the cable which can generate a short circuit.”

According to the stylist, straighteners should always be well insulated and “never left without protection”.

 “We should care for them very well,” he warned.

Sources: Magazine Features

 

 

We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For only R75 per month, you have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today.
Subscribe to News24