A 17-year-old girl has died during a family holiday after suffering an electric shock allegedly caused by stepping on a bare wire.
Argentine Melina Caputa had travelled with her grandmothers, brothers and cousins to Punta Cana, a resort town in the east of the Dominican Republic.
She, brothers and cousins were heading back to their hotel from the beach at the time of the incident.
Melina, who was barefoot, was walking up metal stairs onto a bridge when she allegedly came in contact with an open live wire, local media reports.
Doctors were rushed to the scene and tried to resuscitate her but they were unsuccessful.
The teen's father travelled to Punta Cana to join his family after the incident, while relatives and friends shared touching messages on social media.
Friend Nicolas Baistrocchi shared pictures with her and a message that received more than 2 700 likes.
"We both thought that if we're going to be separated, it would be when we're old, but I never imagined I was going to lose you so soon," he wrote.
Leandro, one of her brothers, also took to social media to pay tribute to her.
"I saw you being born, I saw you growing up, I saw you fighting, I saw you crying, I saw you smiling, I saw you dreaming, I saw you sleeping, I saw you with a will for living. That's why it's so difficult to understand why I'm going on today,” he captioned his post.
"You were a person with good intentions and you were always fighting for the defenceless. I apologise, my love, for not being able to do more to still have you by my side."
The teenager was doing her sixth degree of orientation of natural sciences at a school in the city of San Juan in west-central Argentina.
Up until her tragic death, Melina was still active on social media. She posted a message on her Instagram stories saying: "me voy despidiendo", which translates to, 'I'm saying goodbye'.
Preliminary investigations claim that Melina died from cardiorespiratory failure but this has yet to be confirmed by an autopsy.
The director of communication of the hotel chain Globalia where they stayed, said in a press statement that there was no open wiring on the premises and that they’re awaiting the autopsy results.
Sources: Magazine Features