Three people lost their lives after dry ice was added to a swimming pool.
What was meant to be a joyous affair for popular Russian Instagram influencer Katerina Didenko, who was celebrating her 29th birthday, turned into a traumatic event after 25kg of dry ice was tipped into the swimming pool by her husband, Valentin, Mirror reports.
Three people, including her husband, died when the solid carbon dioxide was added to the water. It's been reported by some news outlets this was done after guests complained that the water temperature was too warm, while other agencies have said the dry ice may have been added to create visual effects.
Katerina and several others were rushed to hospital after suffering acute carbon dioxide poisoning, according to Metro.
Taking to her Instagram page, she shared a heartfelt post in Russian dedicated to her late husband, “My beloved husband passed away but will forever remain in my heart.”
Dry ice is usually used in movies to create dramatic effects and produces a lethal vapour when combined with water in an insufficiently ventilated area, resulting in increased levels of carbon dioxide in the bloodstream, UNILAD reported.
A case of causing death by negligence has been confirmed to have been filed against Katerina.